Bylaws of the Library Board
RESOLUTION TO APPROVE BYLAWS #ADLBR 15-005 (after formation of District Library)
1. The District Library hereby approves the Bylaws, to the extent they are not inconsistent with the DLEA, in the form attached hereto as Exhibit A.
2. The Bylaws shall be filed with the Secretary of the Board with its minutes.
3. All resolutions or motions and parts of resolutions or motions in conflict with this resolution are hereby repealed to the extent of such conflict.
Bylaws of the Adrian Public Library Board of Trustees
- Name, Authority and Purpose
The name of this body shall be the Adrian Public Library Board of Trustees (“Library Board”). The Board’s authority is established and defined under the City, Village, and Township Libraries Act 164 of 1877 and Ordinance 14-005 of the City of Adrian. The Library Board is officially responsible for the expenditures of all monies collected to the credit of the Library Fund.
- Powers and Duties
As required by PA 164, the Library Board shall have the exclusive control of the expenditure of all moneys collected to the credit of the Library Fund. The Library Fund shall be drawn upon by the proper officers of the City, upon the properly authenticated vouchers of the Library Board. The Library Board shall have exclusive control of the construction of any library building, and of the supervision, care, and custody of the grounds, rooms, or buildings constructed, leased, or set apart for that purpose. The
Library Board shall have power to purchase or lease grounds, to occupy, lease, or erect an appropriate building or buildings for the use of the Library. The Library Board shall have the authority to appoint a suitable Library Director, and fix their compensation; and shall also have power to remove such appointee. The Library Director shall be responsible for the employment, development, and direction of the staff and for directing all phases of the operation of the Library. The Library Board shall have the authority to establish and approve a budget. The Library Board shall have authority, in general, to carry out the spirit and intent of this act in establishing and maintaining a public library. This shall include any authority specifically granted by PA 164 and Michigan law. If any authority provided by this ordinance is in conflict with PA 164, the provisions of PA 164 shall govern.
- Library board
- The Library Board shall consist of five (5) members appointed by the Mayor from citizens at large.
- Terms of office:
- Initial terms.With terms starting on the effective date of the Ordinance, the Mayor shall appoint the initial Library Board as follows:one (1) Library Board Member shall be appointed for a term of five (5) years; one (1) Library Board Member shall be appointed for a term of four (4) years; one (1) Library Board Member shall be appointed for a term of three (3) years; one (1) Library Board Member shall be appointed for a term of two (2) years; one (1) Library Board Member shall be appointed for a term of one (1) year.
- After Initial Terms.After the Initial Terms in Section 2.a expire and after the expiration of each term thereafter, the Mayor shall appoint 1 (one) Library Board Member, with approval of the City Commission, for a term of five (5) years.
- Removal.The Mayor may, by and with the consent of the City Commission, remove any Library Board Member for misconduct or neglect of duty.
- Vacancy.Vacancies in the office of Library Board Member as a result of removal from office, resignation or otherwise, shall be reported to the City commission.Vacancies shall be filled by the Mayor with the approval of City Commission and in a like manner as the original appointments.
- Compensation.Library Board Members shall serve without compensation.
- Each Member shall have one vote on any matter under consideration.
- Member must be 18 years of age or older and a resident of the City of Adrian.
- Annual Tax Levy. As specifically authorized by Section 1 of PA 164 (1877), the City Commission may levy a tax of not to exceed one (1) mill on the dollar on all the taxable property in the City.
- Library Fund.All taxes collected by the City shall be deposited into a fund known as the “Library Fund.”All moneys received for such Library, including but not limited to taxes, State Aid payments and penal fines, shall be deposited in the treasury of the City of Adrian to the credit of the Library Fund.The Library Fund shall be kept separate and apart from other moneys of the City.
- The general fund appropriations for the library, approved in April of each year by the City Commission as part of the annual budget for the city of Adrian, shall be deposited into the Library Fund.The Library Fund shall be drawn upon by the proper officers of the City, upon the properly authenticated vouchers of the Library Board.
- Library contributions to the Technology Fund and the Building Space Cost Allotment Fund are made monthly from the general fund appropriations for the Library.
- Utilities are paid directly to the vendor by the City from the Library’s Building Maintenance account.
- < >Organization
Officers of the Library Board shall be President and Vice-President. A Recording Secretary shall be provided by the Library. Other officers shall be elected as needed. Ad Hoc Committee chairs shall be appointed by the President.
- The President shall: preside at all meetings of the Library Board, appoint all standing and ad hoc committees with the approval of the Board, call special or emergency meetings of the Board as needed, and generally perform all duties associated with the office of the President, sign the meeting minutes provided by the recording secretary; and, call the roll for the Library Board as necessary.
In lieu of a Library Board member acting as Recording Secretary the President shall sign off on all meeting minutes of the Board. President shall sign all approved closed session Library Board minutes and seal and retain those minutes in accordance with Michigan’s Open Meetings Act (PA 267 of 1976).
- The Vice President shall: perform the duties and functions of the President in the event of the absence or disability of the President.In the case of the resignation, disability or death of the President, the Vice President shall assume the office for the unexpired term.
- The Recording Secretary shall:maintain a record of all Library Board proceedings including, but not limited to, the drafting and retention of Library Board minutes.
- Library Director
- The Library Director shall be in charge of the administration of the Library within the framework of the Board’s bylaws, policies and procedures and by other laws, rules, regulations and ethics applicable to Library Directors.
- The Library Director shall:
- Receive all funds such as public appropriations, grants, bequests, and gifts as provided by law.
- Make disbursements from the Library Fund on approval of the Board, subject to state and local laws and regulations.
- Maintain accurate records of all money received and disbursed, ready for examination since all public funds are subject to audit at any time.
- Make a financial report to the Board monthly.
- The Library Director and/or his or her designee shall attend all Board meetings and may serve on Board committees.
- The Library Director shall submit monthly reports to the Board.
- Meetings of the Adrian Public Library Board
- All meetings of the Board shall be conducted under the requirements of the 1976 PA 267, the “Open Meetings Act.”All other situations that arise during the proceedings will be resolved by generally accepted parliamentary procedures assuming such procedures are not inconsistent with these bylaws or Michigan State Statutes.Issues of procedure shall be resolved by Roberts Rules of Order as interpreted by the President.
- The Board shall meet at a regularly scheduled date and time bi-monthly at the Adrian Public Library.A meeting notice shall be posted at the Library, on the Library website and at Adrian City Hall eighteen (18) hours prior to each meeting.
- A quorum for the transaction of business shall be a majority of the Board.The members must be present in person.
- Annual Meeting.The annual meeting of the Board shall be the first regular meeting of the fiscal year in July and shall be held for the purpose of installing officers and new trustees, the establishment of regular meeting dates, the appointment of standing committees and the consideration of such other organizational matters as may be required.
- The Agenda shall include:
- Call to order
- Approval of the agenda
- Approval of the last meeting’s minutes
- Public comment
- Financial Report
- Committee Reports
- Director’s Report
- Friends of the Library Report
- Old Business
- New Business
- Public comment
- Announcements; Next Meeting
- Public comment.All meetings are open to the public.Public comments shall be made at the designated time as noted on the meeting agenda and will be limited to 3 minutes per person and 15 minutes per subject.President will determine if additional time should be allowed for public comments.
- Each Board member must notify the Library Director or Board President when he/she is unable to attend a meeting.
- A Board member, after notifying the Library Director or Board President of a planned absence, may request in advance to attend the meeting electronically.Board members who participate in a meeting electronically (via skype or telephone) will be marked present in attendance with participation limited to discussion but not counted as part of a quorum.
- Upon notification that a quorum of Board members will not be present at a meeting, the Presiding Officer may elect to cancel, reschedule the meeting or hold meeting with information only presented.Public notice of cancelled or rescheduled meetings shall be given as required by law.
- The Library board shall make and adopt such bylaws, rules, and regulations for their own guidance and for the government of the Library, as may be expedient, not inconsistent with PA 164.
- These bylaws shall be reviewed annually and may be amended at any meeting of the Library Board provided the amendment was presented in writing at the previous regular meeting.
- All amendments to these bylaws must be approved by a simple majority vote.
- Member Responsibilities
- Members are expected to:attend scheduled meetings held bi-monthly on the second Tuesday of the month; serve as liaisons within the community; represent the library at community events, as needed; and, keep current with present trends and concerns within the library industry.
- Annual Report
The Library Board Members shall make, at the end of each fiscal year, beginning June 30, 2015, a report to the City Commission.
Adrian Public Library Board Adrian Public Library
September 9, 2014 143 E. Maumee St.
Adrian, MI 49221